Painting & the Art of Timing | helloartsy.com

We ofttimes read most colour choices and painting techniques only what about timing your art? Sometimes yous shouldn't touch your painting while other times it's advantageous to work into the moisture paint. Keep reading for some insight that will surely make y'all think twice about your painting habits.

Timing is Everything

What I write about today is aimed by and large at oil painting but with some creativity can more than likely be adapted to acrylic painting techniques as well.

When I was younger and working in oils I only could not become the hang of the paint. The medium always seemed to work against me. Every bit I gained more painting experience I came to detect out that many of my blunders had to do with my lack of timing.

Allow it Dry

When you are learning to pigment you volition definitely exist making some mistakes along the way. Every bit I somewhen learned, many of my mistakes were a outcome of how I was timing a painting. Repeatedly adding more paint in order to fix a problem usually leads to more issues; well-nigh notably an unwieldy buildup of pigment and dingy colors that seem hopelessly unfixable the more you lot pigment. In this situation y'all are best to scrape back the entire expanse in question, and so repaint that area another day when information technology has fully stale. With the painting support in a dry state yous tin can redraw things if necessary and then paint in your corrections…ahh then much more than relaxing when we are patient.

It'southward very difficult to attain a total range of values within a painting that is created moisture into wet in ane sitting. Yes in that location are some masters like Richard Schmid who seem to be able to, only for the rest of us mortal artists our paints will always seem to revert to the medium values. Our lights volition not be quite as light and our darks will non be quite as dark as we would like as we continually piece of work into our painting and perfect our blends. I used to fight this, but at present I but accept it. I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I tin can simply let my painting dry and it will be so much easier to darken the darks and lighten the lights at another fourth dimension. It's less stressful equally well, knowing I can wipe off my highlight if it's overdone or in the incorrect spot. Try that with a detailed moisture into moisture painting manner!

Working Into Wet Paint

At that place are times yous do not want your paint to dry and this is when you are blending paint and creating value gradations or painted color transitions of any kind. This is where most artists really autumn in love with the oil painting medium. Its ability to alloy for hours is such an attractive aspect of the painting medium.

Keep'north It Soft From The Get Get

Now when I paint, I make sure I soften all the edges of virtually every object's edge in my painting while the painting is still wet. It'south easy to practice and I tin can always easily tighten up edges later, simply one time a hard edge has dried it'south really difficult to brand it soft once again.

A little Patience Goes a Long Manner

Sometimes our pigment ends up a little bit runny and any attempts at blending it and softening up edges of divers areas result in an uncontrollable mess. This is usually from adding thinner or a medium to your paints or simply the nature of some paints right out of the tube. Under these circumstances I typically let the painted area "setup" and sit untouched for 20-30 minutes. I notice that when I go dorsum into this area to blend information technology, the paint responds much more than favorably and has that sticky drag that I similar when blending my oil paints.

How Are You lot Timing Your Paintings?

Hopefully this postal service made you recall twice about some of your painting habits. I would dearest to hear about your efforts to time your paintings. Please go out a comment below!